A Speck on the Sea - epic voyages in the most improbable vessels
by Longyard, William
pub. by International Marine/McGraw Hill. Camden, ME, USA 2003 Ragged Mountain Press. 2004 isbn Int Marine = 0071413065 - Rag Mtn = 0--071440291 - - LCCN = 2003007479 - - 375 p. - Bibliography 353-360
This is a collecton of non-fiction stories of small boats which made long voyages, often across the Atlantic Ocean. Many of these were done in the 1800s. The stories are artfully told and demonstrate that people have been going to sea in vey small boats for many years.
1. 63 AD - 16th Century - Inuit Kayakers and St Brendan
2. 17th - 18 Centuries - Two Desperate Escapes - William Okeley - Captain Bligh
3. 1875-1876 - Victorian Venturers - John MacGregor - and 6 others
4. 1876 - 1900 - Paths of Glory - A.Johnson Centennial - Nathaniel Bishop - H. Blackburn and 9 others
5. 1900 - 1920 - A World to Conquer - Yakaboo - Shacketon - and 3 others
6. 1920 - 1930s - Lovers and other losers - Franz Romer - Leaving Latvia Rebell Yell and 2 others
7. 1940s - Big Feat, Little Notice - Three Men in a Rubber Raft - Navy hero Poon Lim - Nova Epero and 2 others
8. 1950s - Goofy and Gallant - Jeeps - Nova Espero - Sopranino - Dr. Bombard - Trekka - Dr. Lindemann - and 3 more
9. 1960s - Doing your own thing - Kenichi Hori (Japan to USA) - OSTAR - R. Manry Tinkerbell - West Wight Potter - Capsul Boat types - Rowing race - William Willis - April Fool and
10. 1970s - The Pursuit of Happiness - by Lugger to Australia - Willing Griffin Shrimpy - Web Chiles open boat - Mexican mnimalist Carlos Aragon - G.Spiess Girl and 2 more
11. 1980s - The Golden Age - New Technoogy - Catamarans - Canoeists - Sven - Small Boat - Serge Testa - Kayaks - and a few more
12. 1990's Records and Redux - Stephen Ladd Squeak - Ant -
13. New Faces and Old - the New Millennium - the Glory of Spain on a Sea-Doo - and 3 others
Conclusion - to Sea or not to Sea, that is the question - a final Warning before you go.
~ 2005 ~
Author list with LINKS to description of each book
Subject list with LINKS to description of each book
Fiction Author list with LINKS to description of each book
Non-Fiction Title list with LINKS to description of each book
to Books index page.