To make Pan de Campo ...
Camp Bread, a trail bread basic recipe half batch quarter batchPre heat the dutch oven over hot coals.
5 lbs. flour 2.5 lbs 1.25 lbs 1 lb. butter .5 lb .25 lb 4 tsp. salt 1 tsp .5 tsp 4 tblsp baking powder 2 tblsp 1 tblsp water water water
Grease or oil inside bottom of the dutch oven with oil, lard or shortening.
Put in the bread.
Replace the top on the dutch oven and cover the top with coals.
Cook until done, usually 15 to 30 minutes depending on how hot the oven is.
When it is done it is light brown and cooked through.
2. Put a ball of dough on a flat surface.
3. Roll the dough out to the proper thickness,
and pierce it with fork all over.
4. Open the pre-heated dutch oven.
5. Add some shortening (or oil, or lard) to the bottom of the dutch oven.
6. Lay the rolled out dough in the dutch oven.
7. With coals on top put the top back on the dutch oven.
8. Add more coals, as needed, to keep the temperature up.
Cook until done, checking as needed. Remove when done.
This demonstration of camp cooking took place in Edinburg, Texas at a cooking competition at the VFW Post there.
return to Texas index page